A distractible person decides to be distracted.
A indistractible person takes an active decision to not get distracted.
4 Keystones for beating procrastination
- Master triggers - awareness and work on it
- Safeguard time - self, relationship, work
- Safeguard focus - cut back distractions
- Use pacts with yourself for preventing distractions
1 - Master triggers
Be Aware to Triggers
Distraction starts from within. So it is important to raise awareness to [[Trigger |Triggers]].
- What is something uncomfortable to escape from?
- What is an internal source to be aware of?
Negative feelings make us vulnerable to distraction.
When we notice that we get distracted:
- Start an inner dialog with yourself
- What are we being distracted from?
- Notice triggers:
- What is it?
- When did it occur?
- How did you feel?
- What did you think? What thoughts tiggered?
- Make tasks more fun.
- e.g. convert to a challenge
2 - Safe guard time
- for yourself
- Plan quality time for yourself including Sleep
- How do you want to spend time to take care of yourself?
- your relationship
- e.g. plan for dates, time to spend time together and for intimicy
- your work
- e.g. plan focus time and cut back office distractions
3 - Safeguard focus
- make focus status visible
- avoid topics that diminish attention (e.g. EMail)
- e.g. with folder system folder today, folder week
- insist on agenda and an overview on what has been done already
- work with read later apps
- take care to work with a clean workspace, desktop, phone space
10 Minute rule
Look for Apps that help you staying indistractible:
- Self Control
- Focus Made
4 - Create pacts
Picture a positive image of your future self.
I’m an indistractible person
Kids and distraction
Strengthen autonomy, competence and relatedness.
- give psychological nutrients
- provide unstructured playtime
- creative time together
- ask: How much time they think they should spent with devices? And have them monitoring themselfes.
Indistractible [[S01 Personal/030-039 Areas/32 Zettelkasten/Permanent notes/Hooked/Hooked |Hooked]]
Notes mentioning this note
There are no notes linking to this note.