Don’t restrict learning
- Many employees do not invest enough (?) in learning
- Even restrictive learning budgets don’t get used
- To ask for a training often takes several steps and approvals.
- Getting reimbursed is cumbersome. Sometime people have to pay from their pockets first.
- Companies I worked with worked with Learning budgets.
- Individual learning is often not core to personal development programs in companies
employees don’t invest in themselves
- not enough financial support
- cumbersome process
- no time beside operational work
- assumption that removing budget restrictions leads to wild west learning
A way forward
- Remove too strict learning budgets. If someone wants to learn then foster and amplify. And provide some [[Simple Rules]] as guidance.
Some Simple guidelines
Establish sharing of learnings either within your team or even outside your company
- based on [[MOC Building a 2nd brain |building a 2nd brain]] the step of expressing is crucial for learning
- Suggest to build a connection with company purpose, missing, OKR.
- This way learning can help the company innovate and further progress in direction operational excellence
- Monitor yearly used learning investments and even share within company.
- It provides a social anchor and enables people to compare and adjust their investment
- And celebrate increased learnings and share success stories based on these learnings.
- Introduce a Day of Learning and Innovation. At Blinkist we used one Friday per quarter that was especially dedicated to learning (either individually or in small free formed groups)
- Make payment or reimbursement for learning super easy. E.g. via services Pleo where everyone can work with individual virtual credit cards.
- Provide simple access to knowledge. Blinkist e.g. offers BlinkistBusiness where employees get access to Key Insights from over 5000 non-fiction books and podcasts. This way one can get a fast overview on topics and take an informed decision on what to drill down.
- MOC Building a 2nd brain
- [[The Fifth Discipline]]
Notes mentioning this note
There are no notes linking to this note.