Working better with stakeholder - 3 advanced techniques
- URL: https://itamargilad.com/stakeholders/
- Published Date: 2022-05-03
- Author: [[Itamar Gilad]]
1. Make Them Your Partner
- What does partnership mean? It’s an exchange of value.
- You need to figure out what they’re really optimizing for.
- Making their numbers? Pushing some big initiative? Protecting against a major threat?
- So you have to explain what you’re trying to achieve, and what you need from them:
- autonomy, support, peace of mind, access to customers, data, or whatever else.
- never work in an “us against them” mode.
2. Be Explicit and Persistent About Your Goals
- If your OKRs are a list of features you’ve committed to deliver this quarter, you’re sending a clear message: we’re a feature factory,
- Outcome goals send a very different message — here’s what we’re trying to achieve.
- Tools like the North Star Metric, Top Business Metrics, and metrics trees
- Many PMs fail to stand their ground because they use opinions rather than evidence.
- you need to introduce the concept of evidence into the discussion.
- weak evidence (“one competitor did this”) with strong evidence (“Early adopter customers are using the product as we expected”).
- get everyone into a place of true collaboration with broad shared context and clear goals.
Notes mentioning this note
There are no notes linking to this note.