Reject the Algorithm
- URL: https://ofdollarsanddata.com/reject-the-algorithm/
- Published Date: 2022-08-02
- Author: [[Nick Maggiulli]]
- The sad story of Jani Lane and “Cherry Pie” highlights the downsides of chasing commercial success at the expense of your beliefs and dignity.
- After all, would you rather be yourself and be known by thousands, or be someone else and be known by tens (or hundreds) of thousands?
- Following the algorithm pervades our society.
- Ultimately, it’s when you let others shape your life instead of building your own.
- Consider Paul Graham or Morgan Housel. Both have never spent any time engaging in “growth hacks” or “engagement bait,” yet they are some of the most successful writers on the internet.
- What’s their secret? They focus relentlessly on the quality of their writing and ideas.
- And when you focus on quality, you don’t have to play by the rules of the algorithm at all. You can reject the algorithm altogether and create success in your own way.
- I would give you the same advice as well—reject the algorithm. Because the algorithm will make you do things that you don’t really want to do.
Notes mentioning this note
Reject the algorithm
Reject the Algorithm Metadata URL: https://ofdollarsanddata.com/reject-the-algorithm/ Published Date: 2022-08-02 Author: [[Nick Maggiulli]]